Project Number: 2017-1-ES01-KA204-038116
The project has a duration of 24 months
(started on 2017-11-02 and shall end on 2019-11-01)
This Project results from our need as teachers of adult language learners to satisfy the needs of a mixed-ability language class, helping students improve their achievement, thus reducing disparities in learning outcomes.
Our Team embodies the aim that permeates the Project, that is, diversity, because we are a diverse group (language schools, teacher training centres, and NGOs) which, at the same time, share the same necessities and a common goal: to help adult students develop their competence in foreign languages as a way to open doors to employment, training and mobility opportunities in a globalised and especially ever competitive world.
‘We want to work with diversity in a way that can serve any educator (and any student) anywhere in any context.
We are doing this by standardizing student learning models, methodology approaches, and evaluation criteria. These learning models will be approached from an analytical perspective analyzing aspects like learning styles, learning paces and language learning difficulties common to our adult students, but also from a holistic perspective taking into account aspects like age, socio-cultural and educational background and how their reality as a whole can affect their learning process.
We want to create a kind of standard and, at the same time, flexible approach from which we can personalize student profiles attending to their individual needs, making them conscious of what type of learner they are.
The activities of the Project have been organised into two different stages:
- Analysis and Training.
– Good practice exchange workshop, not only examples of good practice to attend diversity in the classroom, but also of any other aspect regarding the organisation and management of centres, considering the hetereogeneity of our association.
– A training activity that will provide the theoretical framework from which we can standardize learning models, tools for their identification and materials to be implemented in the classroom.
– Elaboration and asessment of those tools and materials that will be used in class during the implementation stage.
- Implementation, Assessment and Dissemination.
– Case studies as a didactic technique: teachers will select a practice group and a control group, which will serve as a comparison group when results are assessed. Those results will also be included in a comparative research study.
– Progress analysis and methodology comparison: with the objective to learn how the work is adapted to the different realities and situations experienced in the different establishments.
– Assessment of results, which must be in line with the indicators of achievement applied to objectives and results of the project as a whole.
– Dissemination activities: a Manual for teachers, a comparative study research, and the creation of a website and mobile app containing information about the project, its objectives and results and from the Manual can be downloaded.
The methodology applied is characterized by a respect towards diversity, and values the aspects and experience of such an heterogeneous team as ours and the enrichment that it brings to the Project. In that sense, we also include the case study method to analyze diversity which, by nature, can present different variables and is subjected to change depending on the context it is found in.
‘The results, benefits and the impact expected is looked at from two different perspectives.
Teachers being the target group:
– Gain expertise to identify a wide range of profiles of adult language learners and develop skills to design effective pedagogical activities and methodology approaches responding to the diverse needs of students.
– Develop inter-disciplinary language training skills for all adult learning context and to encourage ‘learners’ critical thinking and self-assessment.
-Develop transferable and generalizable pedagogical models that can be applied at transnational level.
Students, being the beneficiaries of our work:
– Experience the improvement of linguistic and communicative competence of students in a foreign language, according to the level they are in, and learn how to take responsibility of their own learning process, favouring independence, and also how they learn best based on an awareness of their abilities, strengths and weakenesses, thus fostering self-confidence.